Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Decades. Team Jenn. Let's do this.

Between the support everyone is showing and my doctor's optimism, I'm feeling pretty good today.  About 22% of people live 5 years or more after stage 4 breast cancer diagnosis.  I'm trying to figure out the longest life after stage 4 b.c.  I see 15 years and 17 years and oh I just found a 23 year!  So today at the doc's office I was asking him about the other new medicine and how it differs from the Ibrance (basically they're practically identical) and we talked about the median survival rate of 24 months.  I also mentioned that I've had days of anxiety and stuff over this kind of thing.  He said I really shouldn't worry about 24 months, he has patients that only took the tamoxifen (that I'm on now) and live 5 years...and that my disease progression is so minimal (currently stable, not growing!!) plus we are going to treat it aggressively, etc.  I said maybe I'll be a record setter and he said why not you?  So.....new goal....Celebrate my 61st birthday 25 years from now.  #decades

2 comments:

Adrian said...

Awesome job at finding optimism Jenn! I know of a 17 year lifer and a 20+. There is a huge MBC community on FB. I even know a man in Memphis with stage 4 breast cancer!

Dr. S is the best here and with his help you have awesome chances of not being a typical statistic.

- Adrian Banks
#stageivdeservesmore #lifer #lookpastthepink

Unknown said...

That's awesome and an eye opener. I'm 61 and there are days when I don't feel blessed. Every day is a gift. Thanks for reminding me. I believe in you!