Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Fight like a girl

There are a lot of fighting/boxing analogies when it comes to battling cancer; some I've thought about for years. Things like get back up when life knocks you down, or fight like a girl (with the cute pink boxing gloves), or sometimes I need to let my tag team partner help me. In fact, I've thought for years about writing a song that involves fighting cancer in a boxing match. I used to wonder if there was Make-a-wish for grownups, what would I choose....and I decided it would be to meet Eminem to have him write this song that I have an idea for. Now, I like Eminem a lot, but if I was just wishing to meet people he'd be more like number 6 on the list. But I really feel like this song idea I have is best suited for his style (and let's face it, my life requires a lot of unsuitable language some days).

 [Going to take a brief detour here to explain who NED is, since he will pop in and out of my song briefly. NED stands for No Evidence of Disease. We don't really say cancer is in remission anymore, especially when we are stage 4, because it's probably still in us, just too small to see. So when we have mets (metastatic disease), we look forward to "dancing with NED," meaning when our scans are clear and we see No Evidence of Disease. We will always live with stage 4 cancer, as it's not curable, but the longer we get to dance with NED, the better.]

 Okay so my song is in several parts, and Eminem is basically doing the PPV play-by-play of a boxing match. The opponents are very unfairly mismatched, but this is life, and life is unfair. One of the opponents is either a big monster or a big burly dude, and he represents cancer. He fights dirty, no mercy, and his ultimate goal is to kill his opponent. Round 1, he beats up on this girl with her pink gloves and pink hair. He literally rips the hair off her scalp, punches her in the gut so that she throws up a lot.....all of this fight represents chemo. Maybe he lights part of her on fire (representing radiation) and stabs her chest (mastectomy). (Sorry for the violence but now you see why I need Eminem for this and no one else will really do!) He knocks her out and the round is over, he won the first round.

 Round 2! She has been given special gloves and comes out fighting as hard as she can and somehow manages to knock the monster/dude out! Her trainer, NED, comes out of nowhere and she does a victory dance with him! Dancing with NED, it's great!

 Now time for round 3. She tries to take a magic pill to make her stronger but it just makes her weak and sleepy. The whole place is cheering for her and supporting her, they really want her to win, but the monster comes out and not only knocks her out (maybe getting her liver or breaking her spine or knocking the air out of her lungs....representing common mets areas), but kills her. NED disappears into thin air.  Monster/dude has won the fight, 2 out of 3 rounds.

 The monster/dude is now celebrating. He was victorious! He killed his opponent, he showed no mercy, and now he gets to go find someone else to pick on. He is walking around thinking he is big and bad. But all of a sudden, a haunting melody plays in the wind (I'm thinking Amy Lee for this part), and the wind and the grass and the sun shining down on him and the ground beneath him and the air....it's all filled with this hauntingly beautiful voice and he realizes it's the girl he just killed! She's now ALL AROUND HIM, in everything he sees and everywhere he goes, he cannot escape her. The music gets more and more intense until finally the monster/dude collapses with the knowledge that he was, in fact, defeated.

 Maybe I could turn this into a story instead of a song, I dunno. Anyway, hope you enjoyed reading. I'll get back to fighting now. :*