Wednesday, December 31, 2008

MRI, CT, PET

Had various tests to tell where my cancer has spread. First was an MRI. The point of it was to tell whether the cancer was in my other breast. I had to lay on my stomach with my breasts in these round holes for over an hour. It probably wouldn't have been so bad, except they injected me with the contrast fluid, and for some reason it made my good breast burn terribly! But the good news was there didn't appear to be cancer in the good breast. Had a CT/PET scan to see if there is cancer elsewhere (other than my lymph nodes). The parts of your body that light up are the ones to be concerned about. My tonsils lit up, which has nothing to do with the cancer, just an oddity (but I've always had sore throats, so I thought it was interesting). Parts of my spine lit up too, and those results were 'inconclusive,' possibly just fatty deposits. So they are staging my cancer as Stage 3, based on tumor size and lymph nodes. Stage 4 is the highest it goes, so at least they don't think it has metastized elsewhere.

No comments: