Monday, November 17, 2008

Ma'ammogram

I'm a wuss. I hate pain and exercise and all that stuff. My motto is: No pain, No pain. :) So I was pretty scared to go to a mammogram after hearing all the horror stories associated with it, even though I knew it was just a precautionary thing and I was certain I didn't have cancer. Well here's the thing, a mammogram does not hurt AT ALL. Unless you have a large lump in your breast. But even then, it only lasts a few seconds and the nurse is nice enough to let you say OWWWWWWWW the whole time as long as you hold your breath for those 2 seconds to take the picture. After the mammogram, the hospital decides they need an ultrasound too (since my breast tissue is dense because I'm so young, they couldn't get much from a mammogram which ANYBODY already knows that). After the ultrasound, a doctor comes in to talk to me. He tells me that the lump is very suspicious (category 4 out of 5) and he recommends a biopsy and then surgery, or just surgery. Either way, it's bad. I cried. Not because I was scared of what it was (I just knew I was too young for cancer) or because I was scared of surgery (you get the good drugs for that), but because I was told less than a week before that all was fine. I asked him, are you sure its not a hematoma? He said, yes, it's definitely not a hematoma. So now I have to have a biopsy and/or surgery. Mom and I went out to lunch and did some shopping after. Shopping is my therapy, but my bank account is starting to get pissed about it.

No comments: