Sunday, November 16, 2008

My lovely lady lump

I first discoverd a lump in my breast sometime around late August I think. Actually, my husband Cody discovered it while he was tickling me (no, really, tickling...get your mind out of the gutter). I knew it was probably no big deal, and that my gynecologist would probably tell me to watch it for a month or so to see if it changed. I had my next appointment with her at the beginning of October, so I figured it would be fine to wait until then. Meanwhile, Cody and I decided I should stop taking birth control in October, because we were finally ready for a baby (well, he has been ready for ten years, but I digress). My pap smears had all been normal since my cervical cancer surgery in April 07. End of September, I get a call from the doctor's office that she will be out of the country, and I had to move my appointment back 3 more weeks. Cody and I thought maybe that would be neat, I would know early if I were pregnant (assuming the doctor's techniques of testing pee are more sophisticated than the ones you get at Wal-Mart). Still not too worried about the lump, I had been noticing that it was tender, but I figured maybe that was from all the poking we were doing to see if it had grown. We argued if it had grown or shrank at various times throughout the month, but figured maybe that meant it really hadn't changed size. In other words, it's always been large. Finally, on October 20, I got to go to the gyno to get my pap smear (woohoo!) and have her tell me that my lump was nothing (or so I thought).

No comments: